Monday, June 9, 2014

Are you Teachable?

I've been corrected a lot.  Growing up with 3 brothers produced a good amount of opportunity to find myself on the wrong side of the law (My mom's apple shaped cutting board, if you know what I mean!).  Fast food jobs, high school sports, church serve teams, and ministry positions have all given their fair share of correction.  The question is, did I learn anything?

Teachability, one of our leadership values at Life Church Jersey, has been defined as: "the willingness to relearn things we think we already know."

So, here's what I'm learning; its not IF I need correction, but how I respond to correction that makes all the difference.  

Proverbs 9:7-9 NKJV
"He who corrects a scoffer gets shame for himself, and he who rebukes a wicked man only harms himself.  Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you; rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.  Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; teach a just man, and he will increase in learning."

Teachability is revealed through our response to conflict and correction.  Our character is displayed through how we endure pain.  The question remains; Are you teachable?  If you haven't been, you can certainly start right now.

Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment