Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day 18 ~ 21 Days of Prayer & Fasting

Fasting and Prayer Defeats Doubt and Unbelief

Today's Daily Reading: Mark chapter 9

I believe. I just need help with unbelief! I believe God is all-powerful and all-loving. I just need help with all the uncertainty and doubtful confusing thoughts that distract me from faith. I believe God is my source and that He is a faithful provider. I just need help believing that when my bank account is low and I don't know how I'm going to make ends meet. I believe Jesus is the healer of physical pain and disease. I just need help with all the doubt and unbelief that's keeping me from receiving what God has for me. I need to defeat the doubt that's preventing me from rising up and telling the problem to go back to hell where it came from, in Jesus name!

Jesus encountered a father who's son was possessed by a demon. Nine of the disciples were unsuccessful at casting the demon out of the boy. Jesus shows up with Peter, James, and John after a powerful encounter with God. Jesus first words in Mark 9:19 were:

"O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to Me.”

Jesus rebuked everyone in hearing distance because of their doubt and unbelief. "O FAITHLESS generating." He's basically saying, "when are you going to rise up in faith and do kingdom works?" He's preparing them for His physical absence. He's training them to be and act like Him since He won't be with them physically for much longer. His focus is removing doubt and unbelief.

We then see Jesus talking to the boy's father to remove doubt.

Mark 9:23-24 "Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

Jesus then quickly does what the disciples were unable to do and casts the demon out of the boy. The boy is miraculously well and everyone rejoices...except for the disciples. They're kind of frustrated. They were saying all the right things. "Come out of that boy in the Name of Jesus!". But there was too much doubt and unbelief present. The doubt was outweighing the belief. They finally asked Jesus why they were unable to cast out the demon. His response is challenging.

Mark 9:29 NKJV "So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.”

Interesting. Was Jesus talking about the demon or unbelief when He said, "this kind"? I'm totally leaning more to Jesus talking about unbelief because of all He said prior to casting the demon out. It's authority in the name of Jesus that defeats the enemy not prayer and fasting. Yet, prayer and fasting draws us closer to the Father. Prayer and fasting removes distractions to our faith. Prayer and fasting starves doubt and unbelief, and helps us realize the authority we've been given in Jesus Name. Doubt and unbelief come out...are driven out of our hearts and minds through prayer and fasting.

There are only 4 days left in our 21 day season of prayer and fasting. Press in like never before with a focus to grow your faith and defeat doubt! You are victorious! You are mighty! You are full of the power of God and the authority of Jesus! Don't let doubt keep you from believing and doing great and mighty deeds for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment