Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 5 ~ 21 Days of Prayer & Fasting

Fasting brings clarity and wisdom.

Today's Daily Reading: Daniel chapter 5

The ability to solve difficult problems and to have wisdom, insight, and foresight is invaluable. We all know what it's like to be caught off guard having no idea what to do. Whether on the job, school, finances, relationships, or in a "what do I do now?" life-altering decision; there's nothing more fearful then the unknown. Think about it. The major thoughts or emotions are ones that convince us that we are alone. "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen. Nobody knows my sorrow." becomes our theme song. We're desperate for just one good idea or direction.

Difficult situations are even more difficult when they're unexpected or shocking. But, hopefully we've all experienced the relief when someone walks in the room and says something that triggers a shout of relief. YES! I now know what to do! That's exactly what happened when Daniel showed up.

The King had an angelic visitation that brought confusion and fear. No one could solve the problem. No one could interpret the sign on the wall. And here's what the king says to Daniel when he arrives.

Daniel 5:16 NLT "I am told that you can give interpretations and solve difficult problems. If you can read these words and tell me their meaning, you will be clothed in purple robes of royal honor, and you will have a gold chain placed around your neck. You will become the third highest ruler in the kingdom.”

Daniel lived a fasted life. It was his m.o. to be praying and fasting. This produced in him an awareness of God and an alertness to God's will and activity. As a leader of a church I'm constantly confronted with the necessity of being aware. Aware of the obvious is an obvious requirement. But I must also be aware of what no one else sees or is even thinking about. The times I'm fasting and praying produce the greatest insights. I'm more aware. There seems to be a faucet that opens from heaven that pours out wisdom and clarity over the lives of those who seek God. I'm praying for that faucet to pour out over your life as you pray and fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment